The Ginkgo Pages Forum - Blog

Welcome, this blog belongs to my website The Ginkgo Pages about the tree Ginkgo biloba. - Cor Kwant
Go to search + archive.

follow me on twitter Follow me on Twitter

June 24, 2006

Transplanting a Ginkgo

Hi Im Adam and Id like to share my success with transplanting my 25' tall ginko. Last November 2005 after leave fall I dug up the tree with a power washer for the most part completely washing the roots of any soil but always kept them wet. The amount of root was very small considering its perfect woodland soil, perhaps 3 square foot with a few 7 foot runs which were damaged in the process. The day was late and I trailored the tree 5 miles to my house and had no time to plant it so I kept it under a fine mist sprinkler all night. First thing in the morning I planted it in fairly clay ridden soil with a gallon of root food. Then the unlikely heat wave came and the tree quickly put out 5,000 green buds. I thought for sure this was a bad sign as 30 days later NJ winter was in place. The buds sealed the winter was mild and finally mid-spring the tree put out leaves like nothing ever happened and is currently doing perfect. As a guide I think the power washer is perfect for this task if care is taken not to apply the stream to close to the roots. I basically washed away the top soil then parted the mud right along the tree to insert the wand then prodded the wand up and down and around undermining the root ball. I believe if I had to do it again I could get the job done in an hour with zero root damage. I also think a hose attachment would suffice if you used a wet shop vac to remove the mud simultaneously. PS the birds seem to love this tree.
Topic by Adam, NJ

6 Comments:

At 7/12/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea! I've used 'HortAsorb' for my transplanted larger trees up to 8 feet high to keep the roots moist. My 14 footer has me thinking because of the huge amount of hand digging. Now I know how to 'dig' the big one. It's July now so I'm going to wait until spring to do the job. To keep the spray from drenching everything including my shoes I'm going to place a large funnel top side down around the sprayer wand near the ground to keep the spray somewhat contained. Thanks for the tip!

 
At 7/22/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An interesting site about transplanting Ginkgos with photos:
http://www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/
env_services/news/ginko.htm

 
At 8/08/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, very nice job. That tree will make it.

 
At 12/04/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We live in Wisconsin and we are in the process of buying land to buld our retirement home on and just learned that we have Ginkgo trees. We thought that they were crab apple trees. Some of them are right in the area that we will be building our house in and we would prefer not to cut them down. Is there any chance that we can move them? Is there any organization that would help with what we need to do?
Question by Laura Lowrey.

 
At 3/15/2011, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-transplant-a-ginkgo-tree

 
At 9/03/2011, Blogger hansning said...

What a great idea. I may give this a shot. I moved one of our 2 ginkgos last year, and it nearly died. It is now severely deformed, but still alive. I hope to move the other one too, but hopefully with better techniques this time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home