The Ginkgo Pages Forum - Blog

Welcome, this blog belongs to my website The Ginkgo Pages about the tree Ginkgo biloba. - Cor Kwant
Go to search + archive.

follow me on twitter Follow me on Twitter

June 24, 2006

Winter-kill

My ginkgo (which was grown from seed) was transplanted twice before it was 3 years old, when it "died" from lack of water by my ex-wife. I dug it up and transplanted it again, and a new sprout came up. After 2 years I moved, transplanting it again. It did well, but has had winter-kill for 3 years. The main stem is dead in spring, and a new shoot comes up to about 1 meter. This winter was particularly mild, with only a week of really cold temperature. Any ideas to keep this from happening again?
I have 3 more seedlings, sprouted from seeds obtained from the big old tree in Blue Springs, Missouri. I'd like to get these big enough to plant at my church, but only if I can prevent winter-kill.
Topic by Denton in Kansas, USA

4 Comments:

At 7/16/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do not you plant your seedling in a pot and overwinter it indoors in a cool place?

 
At 9/10/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 10 potted this year seedlings I hope to overwinter in zone 6 USA. Will they survive a winter in a basement after they go dormant? Do they need light?

 
At 9/27/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They do not need light during dormancy. But they need water to stay alive.

 
At 6/14/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could contact a grower in the region by asking at a nursery. I would ask the grower how much protection they need for how long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home