The Ginkgo Pages Forum - Blog

Welcome, this blog belongs to my website The Ginkgo Pages about the tree Ginkgo biloba. - Cor Kwant
Go to search + archive.

follow me on twitter Follow me on Twitter

December 16, 2010

Ginkgo and Frank Lloyd Wright, Oak Park, Illinois

Budge Gierke writes on a blog (Bettendorf, Iowa):
"Until it gave up in 1992, there was a ginkgo tree in front of Frank Lloyd Wright’s first home in Oak Park, Illinois. The one pictured above still thrives behind the home and to the side of the studio addition. The historic site book shop is named for it. ....A few days ago while watching the ginkgo in our backyard drop nearly all of the green jewels of its crown in the span of just a few hours, I began to wonder what role the ginkgo might have played in the evolution of Wright’s Prairie Style."

Read more here.

1 Comments:

At 8/12/2020, Anonymous Bill Collins said...

I realize the previous post was made several years ago. When visiting the Wright house in the spring of 2019, a woman on museum staff saw me picking up seeds from the big ginkgo tree in back. Without me asking, she offered to help me dig up some seedlings nearby. I'm so grateful. I now have 5 potted seedlings that are about 10 inches tall. None of my seeds germinated although I followed a combinations of instructions I could find. They must have thought about it, but selling ginkgo seeds from the tree would seem a good fundraising idea for the museum. By the way, I was there twice and everyone seems so happy there. Bill. Marlette, Michigan USA. ThumbLand.org

 

Post a Comment

<< Home