The Ginkgo Pages Forum - Blog

Welcome, this blog belongs to my website The Ginkgo Pages about the tree Ginkgo biloba. - Cor Kwant
Go to search + archive.

follow me on twitter Follow me on Twitter

November 03, 2012

Hurricane Sandy and Ginkgo tree


YouTube video by sbinct.
Yale Daily News (Yale University), the nation's oldest college daily newspaper, writes:
"Hurricane Sandy's howling winds tore a limb from one of the most beloved members of  Timothy Dwight College Monday afternoon, ripping down one of the upper branches from the massive ginkgo tree stationed in the TD courtyard.
Timothy Dwight Master Jeffrey Brenzel addressed the loss in a Monday evening email to the TD community, writing that he expects the ginkgo to survive."

Another video (2006) on YouTube of this Ginkgo tree. 

**Subscribe to receive free email updates.-- Cor Kwant **
Visit my website The Ginkgo Pages.

2 Comments:

At 11/20/2012, Anonymous Theresa Maeurer said...

I live on Long Island in New York, and my two Ginkgo trees just survived Super Storm Sandy...
I have two 30 ft Autumn Harvest Ginkgo trees and was worried that they wouldn't survive Sandy with their very full crowns and delicate appearing limbs...as the winds picked up and storm wore on for hours and hours, all of a sudden, these 2 trees just dropped their leaves all at once...they survived without a twig being lost, but I found this behavior very odd...do you know how or why this happened and if it will harm the trees. The leaves were mostly green and under normal weather conditions they would have lost their leaves in another 3 weeks or so...thanks for any info...

Best,
Theresa Maeurer

 
At 4/14/2015, Blogger Dalriada said...

Hi, looking for a bit of advice? I have recently planted a Gingko about 10 metres from my house. I am concerned that with time as the tree grows the roots may give me problems?
Many thanks,
Charlie Kelly
Ayr, Scotland.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home